Monday, April 11, 2011

Concert Week Review!

This past week, I ended up going to a concert just about every night. It was great fun, if really tiring, but I thought I'd report back to all of you.

Tuesday, April 5 - BYU Symphonic Band and Wind Symphony
As a member of the Symphonic Band, this concert was really fun to participate in. We played some fun music, including two classic pieces by Percy Granger and the awesomely jazzy "Niagara Falls" by Michael Daugherty. The Wind Symphony also did very well, and their guest artist, Mark Jenkins, did a really good job with the euphonium solo pieces. However, since this is a local music blog, there are two pieces that I want to go over in a little more detail.

Dr. Christian Asplund is a faculty member at BYU. He wrote a series of six Nocturnes for Band, of which we got to play three. I had Dr. Asplund as a teacher for composition last year, and so it was really fun for me to be able to play a piece of his. You can check out some of his stuff at his website.

We were also lucky enough to be able to play a piece written by a member of our band. Not only is Garrett Breeze an extremely talented (and very funny) trombone player, but he is an amazing composer/arranger. His piece, "The Face of Hope", was written specifically for this band. I love the soaring melodies and the colors that he is able to create. You can see some of the music he has arranged at his website, BreezeTunes, and you can see some of his other work on his YouTube channel. I highly recommend it. He is really going to go places.


Wednesday, April 6 - Synthesis (BYU's Premier Big Band)
To be completely honest, the only reason I went to this concert was because I had to write a conducting paper about it. I've been meaning to go for a while, but it never was too high on my priority list. I'm really regretting that after seeing them. I'd forgotten about how much I loved jazz music, especially big band, and these guys (and gals) really know how to put on a good show. They had us cheering and laughing and in awe through the whole show. Seriously, if you have a chance to see them, do it.


Thursday, April 7 - Courage to Hope Benefit Concert with The Whits, Blind Actuaries, and The Brocks
I love, love, love The Whits, ever since I saw them perform at a songwriters' showcase earlier this semester, and I couldn't pass up a chance to see them. The best part was that this show was raising money for Courage to Hope, a foundation that fights against abuse. I was more than happy to go donate money to this cause and see one band I love, one band I sort of know, and one I'd never heard of.

The Whits were amazing. They played all their usuals, including a cover of Bruno Mars' "Grenade" that I heard once before and loved. And Amy looked fabulous, as always. I am super envious of her style; I don't think I could pull it off. In any case, they totally rocked it.*

I had heard of Blind Actuaries before, but I really didn't know anything about them. I was quite impressed with their music, and especially the fact that they had a new drummer and a substitute lead guitarist. Half of what they played was an acoustic set with just the keyboardist and bass player (who played acoustic guitar for those numbers). They are both quite talented singers, and I would give good money to be able to play keyboard like that. Overall, quite impressive.

I had heard some of The Brocks' music before, though I had only heard them play a couple songs on campus. They were pretty good; I liked their synth stuff a lot. I can't say a ton for their title choices (The Ship Song, The Beach Song), but they sure could get a room dancing.


Friday, April 8 - Fictionist, The Moth and The Flame, and Sunflow
Ever since Fictionist became part of the Rolling Stone competition**, their shows have been very full. I ended up standing out in the snow for half an hour before Velour opened their doors and let us in. It took a good hour before the whole line had made it into the venue. Sunflow opened. I've heard them play before, and I enjoyed their music. I liked the keyboards best (are we starting to see a theme here?). The Moth and The Flame were pretty good, too, but it took them a long time to set up (not that I minded too much). I really enjoyed the looping, and the sung harmonies were gorgeous. Add Aaron's amazing drumming, and it was quite a good show.

Fictionist, of course, was incredible as usual. Those of you who read my last blog post would be interested to know that they played seven of the ten songs I listed. The improv-type jam sessions were awesome, and the whole performance was filled with witty commentary. We got to hear two covers and a brand new song, which was great. Fictionist never disappoints.


Saturday, April 9 - BYU Philharmonic Orchestra
I'll keep this one short, but it was such a great pleasure to be able to go see the Philharmonic play. The Hindemith was very fun, and I loved hearing Dvorak's New World Symphony live. The brass was especially wonderful. If you ever get a chance to go see this group, do it!


*The Whits are in a contest to play at Stadium of Fire in July. Please help them get there by voting here for video 27.

**If you still haven't heard, Fictionist is in a contest to be on the cover of Rolling Stone magazine. You can help them get there by going to this site and rating them 5 stars. Then download the four free tracks! You won't be sorry!

No comments:

Post a Comment